Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

A special week!

It has been several days since my last post. Long work days and a bit of mental fatigue just left me with a case of writers block. Actually, it may have just been mental block -- I didn't feel much like thinking! As I sometimes jokingly say, "I try not to think. It gives me headaches!"

Honestly, it isn't much better tonight, but I wanted to share a bit about our Vacation Bible School at Central Park. VBS has always had a special place in my heart for a couple of reasons. First, it is perhaps the biggest week of the year for many churches as the children have a full week of Bible study and support activities that center around a particular theme. It is a wonderful environment in which the children grow in their understanding of who Jesus Christ is and how he desires to relate to them. We are careful to not intimidate or push the children in any way, believing that only the prompting of God's Holy Spirit can result in a sincere profession of faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior. This week 12 of the children have indicated a desire to accept Christ as their Savior, and our staff will contact parents for permission to follow up with the children to be sure they fully understand the decision they say they are ready to make. If the child and their parents are sure the child is making a well informed and sincere decision they will be allowed to make their profession of faith public at a church worship service. They will then be baptized into membership of the church.

The second reason I am really big on VBS is that it was during VBS when I was 9 years old that I accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. It wasn't that this was the first time I had been taught about Jesus (I had been been in church since the "diaper roll"). However, it was during this particular week that everything I had learned really came together in a way that I knew it was decision I needed to make.

I thank God for Vacation Bible School. It has been a vital part of the elements God has used to prepare millions of children to follow the leading of His Holy Spirit to accept Christ. Pray not only for the VBS at Central Park Baptist, but for all of the thousands of VBS events that occur during the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment