Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sometimes it doesn't make sense (at least to some)!

Romans 12:17-21:
Do not repay anyone evil for evil.  Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.  If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.  On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.  In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
OK, I can almost hear the snickering, and even hysterical laughter, from many of  those who might read this passage of Scripture.  It is one of those unnatural commands from our Lord which can be difficult to swallow.  Give aid to an enemy!  Why isn't that un-American?  Is it?  I don't think so . . . at least not when America is at its best. 

Consider the Second World War and its aftermath.  The United States stayed at peace as long as it could, but eventually we were drawn into a war that had to be fought in order to prevent world domination by the evil Axis.  But after the war, how did we respond to our enemies?  Did we seek to grind them under a boot of hatred and spite?  Obviously not!  The U.S. led the way in helping the vanquished nations to recover, rebuild, and live peacefully with the rest of the world.  It was a case of overcoming evil with good. 

As followers of Christ we should seek to live peacefully with all we encounter, but it is not always possible.  Some people (or nations) have to be "put in their place" when their actions threaten the innocent.  That is why, as a Christian, I believe that war is sometimes justified.  Our world is full of evil-doers who will push the rest of us until we have no choice but to push back, or be forced to give up the liberty which was bought by the blood of many and even our lives.  The war on terror, in particular Islamic extremists, is a modern day example.  I would be among the first to say to Osama bin Laden (or any other terrorist) that I wish for his heart to be changed by Jesus Christ and for us to be able to live in peace.  But, until that time at which we saw clear evidence of a changed heart, I would say that our nation (and our allies) would be justified in ridding the world of an evil man who shows no hesitation in seeking our destruction.  This is not a case of revenge but of preserving the peace by taking away an enemy's ability to work their evil. 

I know that there are those who would say that my reasoning makes no sense to them.  That's OK because I'm not threatened by other opinions.  I am even willing to listen honestly to the arguments of others.  But, I believe that in this case my thoughts are consistent with Scripture, and that is the only affirmation I really need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment