Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Make It Real!

Over the next several posts I want to think about what the 12th chapter of Romans says about living as a Christian.  I begin with the first part of verse 9 -- Love must be sincere (NIV). 

Have you ever noticed how kids seem to be able to sense when someone is a fake or if they are for real?  And when they sense that a person (particularly an adult) is sincere in their love and caring that child grabs hold of them and loves them right back!  At our church we have a child care ministry that services over 100 families (about 125 kids).  Most do not attend our church, though we hope to bring more of the unchurched families into our fellowship.  Occasionally I will go to where the children are and spend a little time interacting with them.  Sometimes it is playing ball with them in the gym or playfully call the boys by the girls' names and girls by the boys' names (they think Bro. Ken is so mixed up sometimes).  There is rarely a time when many of the children don't rush up and want a hug.  Why?  Because they sense that I care about them.  They believe I am sincere.

What is sincere love?  Perhaps the best description in the Bible is found in 1 Corinthians 13.  It is a lengthy passage so I won't print it here, but I encourage you to read it.  As you do, think also of where it is found in 1 Corinthians.  Chapters 12 and 14 both speak to spiritual gifts, that is, the God-given abilities which motivate us and enable us to minister.  And lo and behold, right in the middle of that writing about these gifts is a whole chapter on LOVE.  The Apostle Paul was telling the early church that all of these spiritual gifts are wonderful, but until they are used in love they are pretty much useless.  Love is the indicator that the use of these gifts are sincerely used to glorify God rather than ourselves.  And guess what . . . Romans 12:9 follows right on the heels of a passage about serving God with spiritual gifts (verses 3-8).

The New King James translates Romans 12:9 -- Let love be without hypocrisy.  Love isn't really love unless it is expressed with the desire to bless and edify another person.  If an action is taken with a self-serving motive then it isn't an act of love.  Let me encourage you to love those around you . . .  and let's be real!

No comments:

Post a Comment