Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

What's your pleasure?

The past couple of posts have dealt with the subject of discovering one's purpose for living. As I stated, the basic premise of what I share in these postings is that God, as our Creator, is the One to whom we must go in order to understand why we were created. I will share five things which Scriptures say are our purpose for life.

For those who have read The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, this will be something of a review for you. However, I think this is a valuable exercise as it serves as a reminder to us of God's plan for each of us. I read this book at least every 12-18 months in order to keep these lessons fresh in my mind. If you have never read Warren's book, I hope this will encourage you to get a copy to read.

Today I will list the five purposes and briefly discuss the first. This will be followed by my dealing with the other four purposes in my next four postings. The five purposes as described by Rick Warren are:
1. You were planned for God's pleasure
2. You were formed for God's family
3. You were created to become like Christ
4. You were shaped for serving God
5. You were made for a mission

First and foremost, you were created to bring delight to the Lord! And how do we delight the Lord? God takes delight in those who truly worship Him, and anything you or I do that brings pleasure to Him is worship. Worship really is more about what we do the rest of the week than about what we do when we are in church. What we do at our "worship services" means absolutely nothing if we are not living for Christ every day. Worship services are about coming together with like-minded Christians and focusing our attention jointly on our Lord and Savior. This involves singing praises to Him, corporately lifting up our prayers, giving our offerings, sitting quietly before Him, and hearing the Word of God proclaimed. True worship, however, is about living obediently and serving faithfully each day of our lives. It is about a lifestyle of doing all that we do as if it is done specifically for Jesus. And that is what puts a smile on God's face!
"Smile on me, your servant;
teach me the right way to live." (Psalm 119:135, TEV)

Living a lifestyle of obedience requires that you surrender yourself to Christ. In a real sense we are to offer ourselves to God in the same way we place a financial offering in the plate as it is passed at church. An offering of our finances, in particular the tithe, requires that we trust God fully to show us how to live better on the 90% than we could on the whole 100%. When that trust is extended to every part of our lives it is an act of worship which gives the Lord reason to smile down on us.

A major paradox of the Christian life is the fact that victory comes through surrender. Christians must come to realize that our lives are stronger when we are weak, because only when we acknowledge our weakness and surrender to God's purposes will we experience His strength and His power. William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, said, "The greatness of a man's power is in the measure of his surrender."

Make it a daily practice to surrender yourself to God. In I Corinthians 15:31 Paul says, "I die daily." So remember that the heart of worship is the act of surrendering yourself to God, and it is a daily decision which we must make. Therefore, let it be your daily goal to light up the Lord's face with a big smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment