Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Where is truth?

We live in a world which is plagued by pluralism and relativism. Pluralism says, "there are many ways to God, and as long as you have 'faith', as long as you are 'religious', you will be fine." Since the various religions of the world stand in opposition to one another, this concept of pluralism really doesn't make sense. Everybody can't be right! Thus, much of our world must be following faulty paths to God.

Relativism is the idea that ethical truth is dependent upon the group or individual who holds to that idea. Simply stated, truth is whatever I say it is. This is a plague because it destroys any notion of absolutes, and with no absolutes society will eventually plunge into chaos. There will eventually be no laws because no one will be able to agree as to what is right and what is wrong.

So, what is the right way to God? What is truth? Is there any way we can know? Let me share briefly what I believe and why.

As I stated in my very first post, I hold to a Biblical worldview. I have become convinced that the truth I need for living my life and understanding the world comes from these ancient writings. I believe they are the very words God gave certain men to record . . . men who lived over a period of hundreds of years, and yet whose 66 books form a cohesive and comprehensive telling of God's work in the history of man. It's message is so unique and so amazing that many people decide that it has to be fiction. Fact is, it is either what it says it is or it is the greatest fraud ever perpetrated upon humankind. It is either true or it is not! It can't be a little true . . . it can't be somewhat right . . . it can't be just one of many ways of salvation.

In John 13 we read of when Jesus was sharing with His disciples (closest followers) about His upcoming death. Obviously they were depressed by His words, so in the 14th chapter Jesus tells them to not be troubled about the things He shared because He was going to prepare a new home for them (heaven). Thomas, one of the 12 men who were His closest friends, asked Jesus, "Lord, we do not know where you are going, and how can we know the way?" (v. 5) Jesus' reply to Thomas is one of the key verses in the Bible that makes it clear there is but one way to eternal life. Verse 6 says, "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'"

Such a statement is unequivocal. Jesus declared that He is the one and only way to the Father. Here, and in other places, the Bible states this fact without reservation or apology. John 3:16 is the Good News of salvation and eternal life in a nutshell . . . "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Out of His great love, God became a man (Jesus) and did for us what we could never do for ourselves. There is no way that we can save ourselves -- no way we can earn our way into heaven. Later, in verse 36 of this chapter Jesus said, "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." Pretty solid evidence that Jesus considered Himself the only way of salvation and eternal life.

Jesus is "the way" and He is also "the truth." Do you want to know what is truth? Look at the life of Jesus. His example teaches us what our lives should be like . . . lived to please and serve God. Jesus is also "the life." In John 10:10 Jesus tells us, "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." Not only does Jesus provide eternal life in heaven, He offers a fulfilling, complete life to His followers. Ever wonder why life seems empty? Ever wonder why life doesn't have more meaning? It's because Jesus is the source of the life you have been looking for.

So, what's the conclusion to this blog? If you have never accepted the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ, I encourage you to do two things:
1. Ask God to show you the truth. If He truly loves us, then He wants to show us how to know that love to its fullest. Just make a simple request of Him -- Lord show me the truth!
2. Read the entire book of John in the Bible. It will tell you about Jesus' life and why He came to this earth. If you have trouble understanding anything you read there, please e-mail me with your questions and I'll try to help you. Send your phone number and I'll be glad to call you (I promise I won't bug you to death).

No comments:

Post a Comment