Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Who's Number 1?

A favorite book of mine is The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, Pastor of the Saddleback Community Church in California. You may know Rick from his moderating a civic forum at which he interviewed Barak Obama and John McCain, each about an hour. The forum was broadcast on CNN and Fox News Channel several times. It is my opinion that second to the Bible, The Purpose Driven Life is the best resource for understanding your reason for living, and how we are to respond to our Creator. One reason I believe it is so good is because Rick Warren based everything he wrote upon the Scriptures. Rick is also a master communicator. If you do not possess this book do yourself a favor -- go to Walmart or a bookstore and purchase a copy.

Rick begins the book with a four word statement . . . but that statement packs a punch! He writes: "It's not about you." In yesterday's blog I referenced Colossians 1:16. The last sentence of that verse states, "All things were created through Him and for Him" (NKJV). Not only did God create you, He created you to fulfill His purposes. To understand your life's purpose, your reason for existing, you have to begin with God. It's not about "finding yourself," but it is about finding God and His purpose for you.

This line of thinking goes against everything the world tries to tell us. It has drummed into us that life is about Number 1, Numero Uno, Me, Myself, and I. Not even close! To discover the real purpose of life is not to focus upon yourself, it is to focus upon the Creator. If you want to understand the purpose of a particular piece of machinery who do you consult? You go to the one who made that machinery, the creator of it. If you want to understand the purpose of your life who should you consult? Oprah? Dr. Phil? NO! You consult with the One who put you together . . . your Creator!

What is the best way to consult with God? Read the Bible. It is the book which God wrote through inspired individuals He selected, and it gives to us the answers to all our questions about the purpose of life. Now, in order to get the most out of what you read, let me share with you the most important point about reading the Bible. It is the job of God's Holy Spirit to open your eyes to the truth of His Word. Without His "illumination" we cannot comprehend what we read. That's why so many people are frustrated when they try to read the Bible. It doesn't make sense because God has not yet begun to reveal to them the "mystery" of His Word. I use this word "mystery" because in numerous places in the New Testament the Scriptures are refered to in this manner. It is not God's will that His Word remain a mystery to you, but until you come to the Bible with a heart that is open and seeking, He will not cast His light of understanding on what you read. So, be open and ask God to show you the truth of His Word.

The key thing you will discover when you read the Bible is that developing a relationship with Jesus Christ is critical for finding out who you really are and for what purpose you exist. I encourage you to accept Christ as your Savior and Lord, not because I can chalk up another convert, but because Christ Himself commands all His followers to share the "good news" that He lovingly offers forgiveness of sin and eternal life with Him in heaven. Someone once described the action of sharing about Jesus as being like one beggar telling another where he can find bread to eat.

I came to Jesus many years ago recognizing that I was a sinner and was in need of God's forgiveness. When I asked Jesus to save me from the eternal consequences of my sin and become the Lord of my life, He fulfilled His promise to do that very thing. Since that day I have known with certainty that I will pass from this life one day right into the eternal home He has prepared there for me. No doubts -- No fear of death! Just a confidence in the Lord and a peace about the life He has called me to live.

God has a great purpose for your life! Don't spend a lifetime trying to guess about the meaning of life. Let God show you how to live abundantly and eternally, doing exactly what He created you to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment