Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Better to listen than talk!

It has been a busy and tiring few days including a full day of painting today (my day off). Had to have a MRI on Tuesday to determine how damaged my knee is. Ever since my spinal cord injury (occurred during neck surgery four years ago) I have had a weakness in my left side (sure beats the complete paralysis I experienced after the surgery). This has resulted in extra wear on the left knee. And about a month ago I felt a bit of a "pop", hence the MRI, etc. Nothing too serious - good bit of arthritis, sprained MCL, and slight tear of the Miniscus. A little rehab and some steroids and I'll be much better.

I want to share a brief devotional word from the Personal Growth Study Bible on Proverbs 18:13 which reads:
"He who answers a matter before he hears it,
It is folly and shame to him."

"This proverb reminds us that it's foolish to respond to what another person is saying before we have really listened to them. What is real listening?

Real listening is an active process. We focus on what the other person is saying and feeling, not on what we are going to say next.

Real listening is reflective. We respond to what the other person is saying and feeling, often restating the other person's thoughts and feelings to make sure that we understand them.

Real listening is responsive. Healthy relationships must have two-way communication. As others open up their lives to us, we respond by sharing ourselves with them. In the process, we come to understand no just what the other is saying, but also to understand each other."

I thought this was well stated, and it is a subject all of us should consider. Obviously, all manner of relationships would be better served if we all developed a listening ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment