Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Monday, May 18, 2009

I may not be E.T. but I am an alien!

A very entertaining movie from several years ago, E.T. The Extraterrestrial told the story of a little alien who seeks the help of some children to "phone home" so that his friends will come pick him up and take him back to where he came from. If you are a Christian you may be surprised to know that you are also an alien. No, you aren't a little green man or woman, but you no longer should consider this earth to be your home.

I bring this up because of a song I heard tonight at church that spoke of heaven as being our home. It reminded me of what Paul says in Philippians 3:20-21, "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself."

You see, when a person accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior he or she becomes a new creation and is given a new home, a new citizenship -- Heaven! Yes, we live the remainder of this life here, but we know that our eternity will be spent with Jesus in the place He has prepared for us (see John 14:2-3). This is a cause for rejoicing among believers as we "eagerly wait" for the Lord Jesus to return one day to take us home. When that day comes we will be transformed and our weak, frail bodies will become like the glorified body of Jesus. It will be way cool!

I know that people who have not heard this truth, or who have chosen not to believe, might read this and think, "What a wierd guy!" Some might laugh while others might even be afraid of me. That's how people react to aliens. Not the E.T. kind of alien, but the Christian kind. And we will remain wierd in the eyes of many right up to the time when Jesus returns. So don't be ashamed of your identity as an alien, and don't be too attached to the things of this world. What you have waiting is far better than anything this world has to offer. By the way, God encourages you to "phone home" often!

No comments:

Post a Comment