Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Purpose of Discipline

As a teenager there were times that I just knew I hated my Mom and Dad! Oh the insult of their telling me what I could or could not do. Now I am 51 years old, have two sons who have passed out their teen years (Praise God!), and possess something of an understanding of what they had experienced with me. I also realize I'm lucky I lived to the post-teen years!

Actually, the longer I live, the more I appreciate what my parents tried to do with me - a hard headed, know-it-all kid who was probably the cause of numerous sleepness nights and tension headaches. They sought to instill in me an appreciation for the disciplined life, and they showed remarkable restraint (they didn't commit murder) when I refused to go along with the program.

What is discipline? Simply put, to discipline yourself or someone else, you set the boundaries within which a person can live in an acceptable manner, and when that person steps outside those boundaries there is some consequence which is intended to bring the person back to an acceptable way of operating. Parents do this all the time with their children (or they should). Your place of employment sets boundaries through Personnel Policies. A school has a Student Handbook. A country, state, and local governments have laws. And the Christian has the Bible and the Holy Spirit.

God has set boundaries for His children (believers and followers of Christ). Each of us has to apply some self-discipline, seek God's strength in the areas we are weak, and learn to say "no" to the things we know aren't within the boundaries of proper Christian living. But sometimes a Christian chooses to wander from the "straight and narrow" and God applies a little of His own discipline. Solomon explained about this to His son,
"My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor detest His correction;
For whom the Lord loves He corrects,
Just as a father the son in whom He delights."
Proverbs 3:11-12

"For whom the Lord loves He corrects." I am so thankful that God cares enough about me to want to steer me back into the acceptable when I stray. I'm also thankful for parents who loved me in that way as well. It is my prayer that my life serves to honor both God and my parents. They certainly deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment