Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Call her blessed!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and therefore I am skipping ahead in Proverbs to the 31st chapter, where in the passage beginning with verse 10 we find Solomon's tribute to the noble wife (I will let you read it from your Bible if you wish since it is so long). God has blessed me with a heritage of godliness. I may speak later of the men who have proceeded me, but today I want to speak of the women.

It was my privilege to know three of my great-grandmothers, both grandmothers, and of course, my Mom. Of my great-grandmothers I spent the most time with my "Granny Gregory" who lived with Andy & Ruby Thomas, my mother's parents. Ganny Gregory died when I was 12, but I remember her well. She was blinded by glaucoma just about the time I was born, so I guess she never "saw" me. I remember that whenever we went to visit, my Granny G. would have my sister, my brother, and me to stand before her and let her put her hands on top of our heads to see how much we had grown. She also lovingly caressed our faces as though she could see us through her fingertips. One of the things I remember most of my great-grandmother was that she loved Elvis Presley. She had all of his gospel recordings and would sit in her room and listen to them over and over. Even though she was blind she continued to teach her Sunday School class until her health made it impossible for her to attend. A dear friend of mine, John Lawrence, who went to be with the Lord several years ago, told me how much my great-grandmother meant to him. She taught him in Sunday School when he was a child and often witnessed to him about the Lord. He credits her with having a major influence on his becoming a Christian. She was a great woman of God.

My grandmothers, Ruby Thomas (maternal grandmother) and Estelle Bush (paternal grandmother) were also loving, caring, Christian women. I learned much about being charitable towards others from them. Probably the things I miss most about my childhood are the times spent at their homes, enjoying the unbelievably good meals and just being with them. It was my great blessing that they both lived until after my children were born. My, how proud they were of Andy and Alan. I even have video of both of my grandmothers at the hospital when the boys were born, and when we got together the next few years. These women of faith influenced me greatly.

My Mom's name is Julia. She is still alive, though she resides at a nursing home in Nashville, having suffered a severe stroke in February 2006. Mom is not able to speak beyond saying a very few words, and cannot communicate what she wants to say. What a terrible thing to be locked within oneself that way. She also is paralyzed on her right side causing her to be confined to a wheelchair. Yet, my Mom has such a loving spirit. It would seem that one of her constant pursuits at the nursing home is to care for other patients, particularly her roommate. She comes by it naturally! There are so many wonderful memories I have of my Mom through the years, but I guess I will never forget getting up early each morning to get ready for school and overhearing my Mom praying for me and the rest of my family. What a blessing to know you are prayed for every day!

And now, I have another very special mother in my life . . . the mother of my children! On August 9th Kay and I will have been married 29 years. Boy, the years have certainly flown by. Kay and I met the day we first moved in at Belmont College (now University) in Nashville. To be honest, when I first met Kay I wasn't sure I liked her. But it really didn't take very long before I knew her to be a very sweet young lady. Interestingly, Kay dated my roommate for about a year. She and I dated briefly after our Sophomore year, but really didn't date seriously until after we graduated from college. Like most everyone, our lives have had its great blessings and some difficult times as well. One thing has always been true,however, and that is Kay has stayed faithfully beside me every step of the way. The boys are grown and have moved away to work and attend college. We are now in the "empty nest" years, and I have to say that I am enjoying it because Kay and I are able to spend more quality time together than we have for many years. My best friend and I are becoming even closer! And like the godly ladies who were in my life prior to her, she has been such a tremendous blessing in my life. I agree with Solomon who said of the noble wife, "her worth is far above rubies." I also join him in saying, "Many women have done wonderful things, but you've outclassed them all." (vs. 29, The Message) Thank you Lord for bringing such great women in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment