Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

The "Idiot-Maker"!

There are many foolish things we can do, but one which seems to rise to the top is the consumption of alcohol. It is without a doubt one of the quickest ways to make an idiot out of yourself. Solomon warned his son about this very matter in Proverbs 20:1 . . .
"Wine is a mocker,
Strong drink is a brawler,
And whoever is led astray by it is not wise."

The past several years there has been much said in our media and among politicians about WMD's or Weapons of Mass Destruction. I would venture to say that all of the WMD's used throughout history have paled in their destructive power when compared to the utter devastation produced by the use of alcohol drink. I have observed broken marriages, foolish abandonment, lost jobs, forfeited freedom, and tragic death as a result of "taking a little drink."

No, drinking isn't the only sin, but it is one that has created more pain and suffering than most. My own family has been touched by alcohol abuse as my wife's father was a heavy drinker, perhaps even an alcoholic. His drinking contributed to divorce and the break up of their family. Even today there are scars with which Kay must deal. She hates alcohol!

Out of a loving concern I would urge any young person to turn away from the temptation to drink. I know it is supposed to be cool, but I've never seen anything cool about losing control of yourself and acting like an idiot! And those kids who tell you they are your friend and at the same time try to get you to take a drink with them -- well, that is no friend. A friend is someone who wants to help you to be your best, not your pitiful worst.

Then, to any parent who might read this - if you drink even a little bit you are inviting your child to engage in something that could be disastrous. I can't imagine you would consciously put your child at risk, but that's what you are doing if your example before them includes drinking an occasional beer or glass of wine. There are some who would say, "Oh, that's just some preacher on his soapbox!" Well, somebody has to speak the truth and hope that God's Spirit will make it stick. I would rather be considered a "prude" than to ignore the opportunity to try to give a loving rebuke. Try to be wise - give up the booze!

No comments:

Post a Comment