Welcome to my personal opinion!

How has your point of view been determined? On what do you base your belief system? What shapes your opinions?

All of us look at our world around us and interpret what we see based upon our most basic beliefs. This perspective is often referred to as our "worldview." We see what goes on in the world and our world view determines whether we think those things are good or bad, positive or negative. And that worldview also determines how we will react to everything that we encounter. So you see, it really is a matter of perspective.

Up front I will confess that I hold to what is known as a Biblical Worldview. My commitment to the Bible as being the Word of God, and my faith in the One revealed to us in that totally unique book and through His Holy Spirit has provided the lens through which I view the world around me.

So, if you choose to read what I have written there will likely be some things you will agree with and some which you will not. That will be determined by your own personal worldview.

My hope is that what I write will challenge you to better understand what you have chosen to base your worldview upon, and if it is not based on the unchanging Word of God, that you might become convinced, like I am convinced, that His Word is truth and serves to guide the believer through life's journey toward the "abundant life" Jesus promised in John 10:10.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's in a name?

Growing up my Dad use to tell me often, "What you do reflects on the family name!" I confess that I've said the same thing to my children (Oh no, I'm becoming my Dad!). Because of what he taught, I take my responsibility to protect my good name and that of my family. One of the last things I would ever want to do is to dishonor my parents, grandparents, or any of my family past, present, or future.

Solomon had the same idea in mind when he shared this proverb:
"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches,
Loving favor rather than silver and gold." (Proverbs 22:1)

What a family name Solomon was to protect. His father was King David, the heroic leader who brought the nation into a new era of prominence. Despite being the wealthiest man in the world, Solomon understood the supreme importance of maintaining one's integrity. He certainly didn't want to be the one to besmirch his Daddy's reputation. Unfortunately, Solomon's son obviously didn't feel the same. Rehoboam was the first king to be described as one who "did evil in the sight of the Lord."

I admit that there are times when I wouldn't mind having a larger bank account, but given the choice between that or keeping my good name, I'll pass on the money. The only thing a person can carry with them to their grave is a good name.

No comments:

Post a Comment